Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Write My Way to Being a Writer

Am I a writer? My honest response to this question is "No, I'm a fraud, a hypocrite!" I talk about writing. I think about writing. I even write for my work. But do I live the life of a writer? No. I write when I have time, which in the scheme of things, turns out to be seldom, if ever. Certainly not enough to identify as a writer. This is a constant struggle for me.

You see, I am a professor of literacy education. I taught first and second grade writers for 8 years. I currently teach early childhood and elementary teacher candidates how to teach young writers. And I facilitate graduate students in their Language and Literacy program.

I know all the right things to say about writing and teaching writers...

"Writers write everyday!"
"Writers observe the world around them."
"Writers are always collecting ideas for their writing."
"We all have stories to tell."
"To teach writers well, you must be a writer yourself."

I would even say that I believe these things, but do I practice them wholeheartedly? No, haphazardly at best, until now.

Writing is hard work. It takes time. Time that I have not yet been willing to protect. This semester I have committed two half-days each week for writing (Tuesday afternoons and Friday mornings). My colleagues and friends have suggested that this commitment is a necessary first step, and that without such a commitment, writing will always be the thing that fades from a way too hectic schedule. I have lived this reality for far too long. I want to create a new reality, a new identity for myself.

I am, quite certainly, one of the most reflective people I know. Recently, I have been talking with my undergraduates about learning as an active process. I've asked them to notice, in their practicum classes, where students are actively engaged in learning. I believe they need to be able to distinguish between active learning and passive participation. In reflecting on my own teaching, the fact that I am a passive writer, has become abundantly clear to me. 

So, for me, this blog is an active way to "Write My Way to Being a Writer", to shift my identity, and to live my beliefs.

Why a blog?

I have been inspired by friends and colleagues who creatively and courageously share their experiences, thoughts and ideas each week on their own blogs. I love reading those blogs! Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome! Thank you for joining us.

    I wonder if you'll see a change in the way you talk about writing with students from before you were protecting writing time to now.

    There are times now, with my blog, that I don't look forward to writing. There are times when I feel like I have nothing to share. I'm always glad to have written it, though.

    Also, thank you for talking with your undergrads about learning being an active process that is different from passive participation. After being professionally developed this afternoon in the area of behavior management, it gives me hope to read that someone out there is supporting preservice teachers in thinking about what real learning looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, to be real. We all need to use our unique way of supporting each other (e.g. berating, mocking...) to encourage frequency, at least. Accountability team, unite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having written weekly pieces for my blog for almost two years now I can say that I definitely think differently about writing. I'm more aware of the processes, emotions, and struggles of writing regularly. It may have made me a better writing teacher but, if so, that's not been the best part. What I've most appreciated about writing is that I'm more aware of the world around me. I reflect more on relationships and small moments knowing that I'll write about them later. There are a small handful of people who read these pieces. I generally write with Tim O'Keefe in mind. I know that if I can entertain him then probably everyone else will like it too. However, I'd write even if no one was there to read it. Maybe I'd fudge on my self-imposed deadline much more often, but I'd still write.

    I'm thrilled you started the blog. I can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete